ConsenSys Monthly Report - November 2019
November’s monthly report is filled with exciting updates, recaps, and releases from ConsenSys. If this is the first monthly report you’re reading, check out our vision, and learn more about ConsenSys. If you’re a frequent reader, jump right into the good stuff — the top tweets, events, videos, and reads from the past month.
“I’m kind of stunned by how much progress has been made in such a short time. If you look at all the previous massive societal revolutions—mobile phones, the internet itself, the Web, cars, electricity—they all took a lot longer. We’re not really ten years into the decentralized Web revolution or evolution—we’re more like five years into it. Because bitcoin was a very narrow implementation and smart contracts were really invented about five years ago. And so it’s astonishing how many big companies, startups and just people care and think it’s going to be important.’’
— Joe Lubin, founder of ConsenSys and co-founder of Ethereum
In November, uPort released Serto, a suite of tools that bring the power of verifiable credentials and decentralized identifiers (DIDs) to the real world. The Global Legal Entity Identifier Foundation (GLEIF) is now using Serto to bring Legal Entity Identifiers (LEIs) to the blockchain. Bounties Network deployed meta-transactions which makes it easier for new members of the Ethereum community to earn their first crypto, rather than having to buy it. Andreas Freund and Lewis Cohen released a white paper that reimagines equitable distribution of public goods using blockchain technology and token-based markets.
ConsenSys attended Convergence, the first-organized global blockchain congress. Convergence brought together representatives from the European Commission, INATBA, and various government officials and corporate leaders. Check out the Convergence videos here. Take a break from staring at the Istanbul Hard Fork Countdown Clock, and check out November updates from the Mesh!
The ConsenSys Vision
Most Popular Articles
- What are people searching for? “Blockchain in Public Goods Allocation”
- Trending: “A Crypto Content Manifesto”
- Most Shared: “Which Governments Are Using Blockchain Right Now?”
- Webinar: “How to Build a Successful Blockchain Product”
Social Media Hits
Hub and Spoke Model
The ConsenSys “hub” spawns, incubates, and accelerates “spoke” ventures through development, resource sharing, acquisitions, investments, and the formation of joint ventures. These spokes benefit from foundational components built by ConsenSys that enable new services and business models to be built on the Ethereum blockchain.
- Labs: Our blockchain venture studio. Labs incubates the best teams of Web3 across the globe, providing them capital, mentorship, and access to ConsenSys’ network of top-tier projects and talent. Read: ConsenSys Labs Announces Investment in atpar.
- Academy: Our educational institution. Academy’s mission is to develop the global blockchain ecosystem by bridging the Ethereum knowledge gap.
- Solutions: Our enterprise arm. Solutions brings blockchain to businesses, helping enterprises, governments, non-profits, and startups across the globe build, test, and deploy public and private blockchain solutions. Solutions offers education, advisory, and development services, as well as opportunities for joint ventures and co-creation. Read: Blockchain Use Cases and Applications by Industry.
- Social Impact: ConsenSys Social Impact leverages emerging technologies to solve the world’s most pressing issues. Read: Introduction to Stablecoins, Payment Ramps, & Transparent Donations Pt. 3
- Capital: Capital is our constellation of financial service offerings for digital assets and blockchain-based companies, and also includes token sale advisory and a venture capital studio.
- Diligence: ConsenSys Diligence is committed to improving and protecting the Ethereum ecosystem by facilitating technical excellence, security guidelines, legal precautions, and ethical business practices. Read: “Solidity, the Young Adult”
- Ethereal: Ethereal Summit brings together builders, philosophers, policymakers, artists, and humanitarians from around the world for two days of storytelling and knowledge sharing around how we can build our decentralized future together using blockchain technology. Watch: “Why Do We Audit – #EtherealTLV Presentation”
Alliances and Initiatives
- Accounting Blockchain Coalition: Started by ConsenSys’ Balanc3 team, ABC drives innovation in the accounting industry while educating businesses and organizations on accounting for blockchain-based digital assets. Read: “The Accounting Blockchain Coalition Elects Two Board Members”
- The Brooklyn Project: An industry-wide collaboration utilizing blockchain law, regulation, and policy to promote token-powered economic growth and consumer protection.
- Enterprise Ethereum Alliance (EEA): The industry’s first global standards organization provides guidelines for developing and delivering large-scale, interoperable blockchain implementations. Read: “Standard Chartered joins Enterprise Ethereum Alliance”
Spokes and Ventures
Liquidity management and international payments for decentralized financial networks.
- Read: “Union Bank of the Philippines (UnionBank) showcased its pilot blockchain-based cross-border remittance project using the Adhara liquidity management and international payments platform at the Singapore FinTech Festival (SFF).”
A platform that makes it easy to find, price, and trade tokens peer-to-peer on the Ethereum blockchain.
A comprehensive suite of blockchain exploration, analysis, and forecasting products for the Ethereum network.
All infrastructure, for all — platform for the tokenization of large scale unlisted infrastructure.
Freelance task fulfillment, paying out in any Ethereum token upon successful completion.
A platform for sustainable and trustworthy journalism using open governance and cryptoeconomics.
A daily news site covering all things crypto and the advent of the decentralized web.
A decentralized peer assessment protocol forming the foundation of a universal academic system.
The easiest way to leverage the open-source community to incentivize or monetize work.
Gnosis builds new market mechanisms to enable the distribution of resources — from assets to incentives, and information to ideas.
Leverages the public Ethereum blockchain to give consumers direct access to wholesale energy markets
A scalable, standards-based, globally distributed cluster and API endpoint for Ethereum, IPFS, and other infrastructures.
An all-in-one enterprise SaaS platform that radically simplifies the creation and operation of secure blockchain networks and accelerates the journey from PoC to Production.
- Read: “Caifeng Gene to Create Genomic Data Exchange with Kaleido”
- Read: “Blockchain Software Provider Komgo Surpasses USD700m Of Financing On New Platform”
The Ethereum community’s technical knowledge network.
MetaMask is a browser extension that allows you to run Ethereum dApps right in your browser without running a full Ethereum node.
- Read: “Breaking Changes to the MetaMask Inpage Provider”
- Watch: “MetaMask Snaps Talk Episode 1: 3Box”
A security analysis API for Ethereum smart contracts. It powers tools that bring security into the smart contract SDLC.
A blockchain-based protocol for the creation and execution of legal agreements in a user-friendly, compliant way.
- Read: “Automation. Blockchain. A formula to reduce Legal spend?”
- Read: “The LAO: Previewing Delegated Voting”
A decentralized foundation that provides sustainable funding through grants.
A protocol engineering team building Ethereum tech for the public chain community and leading enterprises.
- Read: “PegaSys Plus: Commercially Licensed Enterprise Ethereum Client”
- Release: HyperledgerBesu v1.3.5
Same project, new name. Treum helps businesses build trust with their customers by bringing transparency, traceability, and tradability to supply chains.
A development environment, testing framework, and asset pipeline for Ethereum-based smart contracts and dapps.
- Release: v5.1.2 – A Thanksgiving bug fix
- Read: “Microsoft Aims New Token Minting Platform at Mainstream Users”
A custody platform to safeguard crypto assets, with customizable smart accounts for diverse client needs
A self-sovereign identity management platform that allows users to register their own identity on Ethereum, send and request credentials, sign transactions, and securely manage keys and data.
- Read: “Connecting and Building Trust Between Organizations and People with uPort Serto”
- Use: uPort’s open source Android SDK
Profiles and distributed database infrastructure for Ethereum.
- Read: “3Box Architecture”