We’re building for a future where the internet and world economy empowers people through interactions based on consent, privacy, and free association. Where both communities and individuals flourish. To accomplish that, we’re working hard to make web3 accessible for everyone.
MetaMask is both a crypto wallet and a gateway to the decentralized web. Our tools help people create communities, play video games, access financial services, make payments, invest in assets, protect against economic turmoil, and more. Our browser extension and mobile platforms meet the needs of millions of users and developers across the world.
Originally a humble key manager, today MetaMask serves over 30 million monthly active users as a decentralized application development platform, an aggregator of decentralized cryptocurrency exchanges, and a decentralized identity manager.
About the Team
The most fundamental role that MetaMask plays for 30+ million users is to help them manage their private keys and take action with those keys. Our first and most well known strategy for this is the Secret Recovery Phrase (aka the “seed phrase”). MetaMask stores the users SRP on their machine, and from it deterministically generates private keys and accounts.
Our next innovation in this area was integration with hardware wallets. By storing their SRP on external hardware design for this purpose, users are able to be more secure than their machine while enjoying the convenience and UX of MetaMask.
Over the past six months, we have expanded the number of hardware wallets we integrate with and have fixed some long standing pain points in hardware wallet UX. However, the development of account and key management solutions at MetaMask is just getting started.
While our roadmap is always evolving, here are some of the areas of improvement and innovation that this team will bring to MetaMask:
- Adding new account types to MetaMask (e.g. smart contract based accounts, multi-sigs, etc)
- Seed phrase back-up solutions (e.g. cloud-based backups, password manager integrations)
- Hardware wallet UX enhancements (smoother onboarding flows, easier management of multiple hardware devices)
About the Role
We are looking for a senior product designer who would be excited to bring simplicity to complex user flows, encourage users to take the safest path available and champion other innovative key management features.
What you’ll do
- Facilitate design decisions related to security, UI, UX and product necessary for MetaMask’s current and future key management solutions.
- Design new account and key management features to ensure MetaMask continues to be an extremely safe experience while also usable.
- Create storyboards, wireframes, low-fi sketches, prototypes, and high-fidelity visual designs to meet needs of different stages of the product life cycles.
- Balance the need to answer in-the-moment implementation questions about your designs with the need to work ahead of the team to test prototypes and validate them in advance of implementation.
- Build a deep understanding of our users and their needs.
- Work with our design, QA, and engineering teams to build the best possible onboarding and key management user experience, while working within a secure execution environment and templated design system.
- Advise on tradeoffs between security and usability in user experience.
Who we’re looking for
Successful candidates should be used to operating at a senior level, working closely with external stakeholders such as design leads, product managers, and engineers - solving secure design and key management efforts across initiatives. They should also be proficient, or be able to quickly become proficient, in the following areas:
- 3+ years of software product design experience.
- Demonstrated interest or experience with blockchain related development and web3 technologies through: work experience, hackathons, open source work, personal projects, or similar experiences.
- Experience designing for usable security and complex flows.
- Experience with user research and usability testing of your product designs.
- Experience with agile processes (e.g. Scrum, Kanban), and integrating design within such processes.
- Experience in roles requiring close collaboration with Design, QA and Engineering.
- Ability to describe and provide a logical rationale for design decisions.
- Proactive and self-driven to be successful working in a remote environment.
- Kind, empathetic, and supportive towards team members.
- Timezone ideally between PT and ET, if in EU/UK you are able to have ~4 hours overlap with MetaMask core hours (9am-1pm PST)
- You’re a MetaMask user!
- Understanding of the Ethereum blockchain and ecosystem.
- Prior experience designing for security.
- Prior experience with HCI design for physical hardware.
About ConsenSys Software
ConsenSys Software is the leading Ethereum software company. We enable developers, enterprises, and people worldwide to build next-generation applications, launch modern financial infrastructure, and access the decentralized web. Our product suite, composed of Infura, Quorum, Codefi, MetaMask, and Diligence, serves millions of users, supports billions of blockchain-based queries for our clients, and has handled billions of dollars in digital assets. Ethereum is the largest programmable blockchain in the world, leading in business adoption, developer community, and DeFi activity. On this trusted, open source foundation, we are building the digital economy of tomorrow.
We have a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to make sure we’re looking after you and what matters most.
We believe in ownership and want everyone to have a stake in our future success, that’s why you’ll receive equity when you join us.
Recognized in the blockchain and Web3 ecosystem
Working at ConsenSys is a tremendous reference for your career. You’ll join a network of entrepreneurs and technologists that extends across the global crypto ecosystem.
Continuous learning & opportunities
We provide ongoing growth and development through on-the-job learning, and the ConsenSys Advance Program which includes full access to Coursera, bespoke and technical learning programs and ConsenSys Academy our world-class blockchain and Ethereum program.
We value downtime to recharge and reset, ensuring everyone at ConsenSys has work/life balance. In addition, company-wide we participate in “zero productivity” days to take a break from work, shut down, and sit back and relax.
Flexible working arrangements
With our global workforce we have fine-tuned asynchronous working which means we have a lot of flexibility in the structure of when we work and how we work together.
You’ll be joining a team based all over the world. Providing the unique opportunity to work with people from across 6 continents.