“Island-to-Island” | “Institution-to-Institution” | “Individual-to-individual”
The Philippines is a rapidly emerging economy with a population of over 100 million. However, two-thirds of the population remains unbanked. 70 million Filipinos have severely limited access to both the domestic and global financial ecosystems. This poses a significant problem when up to 10% of the Philippines’ GDP is made up of international remittances sent from overseas workers to family members across the country.
UnionBank of the Philippines, one of the largest banking institutions in the country, sought to tackle this challenge by partnering with ConsenSys Solutions, Kaleido, Amazon AWS, ConsenSys Diligence, Microsoft Azure, and seven rural Philippine banks to create an inter-rural bank payment platform using Enterprise Ethereum.
70% of Filipinos remain unbanked and have no access to a checking or savings account. One-third of the Filipino population lives on less than $2 a day, while 56% of Filipinos residing in rural communities have limited access to financial services. Operating outside of the banking system hampers upward mobility, long-term opportunities, and perpetuates poverty.
Unionbank of the Philippines launched a financial inclusion project with Project i2i to address the ongoing issue of unbanked citizens.
The Enterprise Ethereum Solution
UnionBank sought to partner with the 476 local banks already present with established relationships within the community. Unfortunately, the rural banks themselves were disconnected from electronic banking services and domestic money transfer networks, making it difficult for UnionBank to lay the groundwork for financial inclusion.
In turn, UnionBank worked with ConsenSys Solutions to plan and implement a pilot project utilizing blockchain technology in partnership with seven local banks. Project i2i implemented Enterprise Ethereum to create a decentralized, cost-efficient, real-time inter-rural bank payment platform that operates autonomously outside of existing payment infrastructures and intermediaries such as the Philippines’ PhilPass and SWIFT. The Project i2i platform works to connect rural banks as well as national commercial banks to the central bank, helping remote banks integrate with the domestic financial system while also improving banking access for local citizens.
The commercial launch of the i2i platform is scheduled for 2019, in partnership with 130 rural banks. Project i2i has received clearance and support from the central bank of the Philippines (Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas) to operate as the country’s first Ethereum-based payment network for domestic funds transfers.
UnionBank and ConsenSys Solutions are now working toward expanding the platform to include international funds transfer, using technology developed from another ConsenSys Solutions initiative, Project Ubin. UnionBank is committed to achieving its goal of extending banking services to the underserved market of rural Filipinos.
Download the Project i2i Case Study
A 10 page report detailing the problems addressed, Enterprise Ethereum solutions, and goals achieved by UnionBank and ConsenSys Solutions.
Consult our blockchain experts
Connect with our team of global trade experts to explore a blockchain solution for your organization. We help enterprises, governments, non-profits, and startups across the globe build, test, and deploy public and private blockchain solutions.
Read our whitepaper on central banks and the future of digital money
This paper provides an overview of the history and current state of CBDC as well as an example of how a CBDC could be designed and built on the Ethereum blockchain.
Explore our blockchain platform for the future of finance
We've built the blockchain operating system powering global commerce and finance. It optimizes business processes, activates digital financial instruments, and deploys production-ready blockchain solutions.
Learn more about Project i2i
- ConsenSys MediaProject i2i: An Ethereum Payment Network Driving Financial Inclusion in the Philippines
- KaleidoProject i2i Video: A UnionBank and Kaleido Project for Financial Inclusion
- Amazon AWS Case StudyAWS Partner Story: UnionBank and ConsenSys
- Microsoft Case StudyDigitizing Financial Services in PH with Blockchain
- IDG ConnectHow Blockchain is Enabling Financial Inclusion for 70 Million Unbanked Filipinos
- Business WorldUnionBank Using Blockchain for More Processes
Enterprise Ethereum is the foundation for many industry blockchain use cases and case studies. Find out more about blockchain applications in finance, digital identity, energy, government, healthcare, insurance, law, media, real estate, retail fashion and luxury, sports, supply chain, and social impact. Explore our blockchain insights and read our case studies:
- komgo: Bringing commodity trade finance into the 21st century
- August Debouzy: Introducing joint security token offering services
- Project i2i: Driving financial inclusion in the Philippines
- Project Khokha: Pushing the limits of interbank payment settlement with blockchain
- Project Ubin: Exploring the potential of distributed ledger technology in central banking
- Zug: Introducing civil identity on the blockchain
- Smart Dubai: Forging a seamless city experience in the UAE
- EU Blockchain Observatory and Forum: Accelerating blockchain innovation in Europe
- Project Unblocked Cash: Revolutionizing humanitarian cash transfers in Vanuatu
- Hala Systems: Saving lives and mitigating war crimes in Syria
- Impactio: Realizing the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals by 2030
- Luxarity: Tackling unsustainable consumption practices in luxury retail
- Devcon Scholars: Broadening access to the Ethereum ecosystem