Compliance & Operational Risk Manager
at Consensys Software Inc.
United States, Remote
ConsenSys is the leading Ethereum software company. We enable developers, enterprises, and people worldwide to build next-generation applications, launch modern financial infrastructure, and access the decentralized web. Our product suite, composed of MetaMask, Infura, Codefi, Quorum, Diligence, and Truffle serves millions of users, supports billions of blockchain-based queries for our clients, and has handled billions of dollars in digital assets. Ethereum is the largest programmable blockchain in the world, leading in business adoption, developer community, and DeFi activity. On this trusted, open source foundation, we are building the digital economy of tomorrow. To explore our products and solutions, visit http://consensys.net/.
About Our Team
The legal and compliance team at ConsenSys provides a broad range of support services to our product suite. The work is varied but usually somewhere along the intersection of regulatory analysis and compliance, strategic business advice, data protection, employment law, intellectual property and general corporate work. If you are someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment where being self-directed, determined, and resilient is a requirement, we are confident you’ll enjoy working with us and the broader ConsenSys team. ConsenSys always has been and will remain a remote-first company.
About the Role
We are looking for someone to supplement and complement the current legal and compliance team at ConsenSys. We believe regulatory compliance professionals work best when they are challenged, intellectually stimulated, and pursuing their personal interests. We look forward to crafting a role that fits ConsenSys’s growing needs while charting a compelling career path for our new team members. The core focus of this role will be on the intersection between our operations and the policies, procedures, and internal controls warranted by the evolving regulatory landscape. You will report into the legal team and work closely with our product and operations teams to ensure that compliance policies and procedures are understood, being appropriately implemented, and improved over time. The issues you will deal with include cyber crimes, U.S. sanctions compliance, and anti-money laundering controls. Specifically, you will:
- Work closely with the existing legal and compliance team and partner with business units and internal support functions like Finance, HR, and IT to implement and improve our compliance program.
- Execute day-to-day compliance operations, including know-your-customer, sanctions, and other cyber crime mitigation efforts.
- Identify, investigate, and resolve issues involving our customers, operations, end users, and personnel that relate to our compliance policies, procedures, and internal controls.
- Manage our law enforcement response process to ensure we discharge our obligations vis-a-vis government inquiries while maintaining the integrity and security of company, customer, and end user information.
- Review, draft, and amend our compliance policies, procedures, and internal controls in response to operational and regulatory developments, with a jurisdictional emphasis on the United States and its territories.
- Conduct internal investigations and other inquiries that impact our regulatory compliance efforts.
- Conduct trainings to educate new and existing personnel on compliance obligations.
- Support our legal and compliance efforts generally, as needed.
- 7+ years of compliance experience, including developing, maintaining, and improving anti-money laundering, sanctions, and other financial crime compliance programs.
- Understanding of the cryptocurrency ecosystem and its similarities with and differences from traditional finance, and a strong desire to learn further about blockchain technology and related compliance issues.
- Conducting trainings on compliance topics.
- Conducting internal investigations relating to internal and external compliance issues.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and an interest in collaborating with multidisciplinary teams.
- Hard-charging, innovative, and comfortable with high levels of responsibility, including responsibility for compliance decisions and for when to elevate issues.
- Comfort with being self-directed and learning quickly to tackle time-sensitive tasks.
- Business judgment and ability to assess compliance risk while being decisive in an uncertain regulatory environment
- Ability to effectively engage with business and legal counterparts.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and matters simultaneously.
- A proven academic or professional track-record demonstrating hard work, ambition and a dedication to self-improvement and excellence.
Why join ConsenSys?
Here are some of the perks of being part of a unique organization like ConsenSys
- One of the most recognized tech companies in the blockchain ecosystem globally. A work experience at ConsenSys is a tremendous reference for your future career. ConsenSys alumni have moved on to become tech entrepreneurs, CEOs, and team leads at tech companies.
- The forefront of a revolution. We fundamentally believe blockchain is a next generation of technology that can lay the foundation for a more just and equitable society. You can be a part of building the digital economy of tomorrow and radically transforming our society for the better.
- A dynamic startup environment with deep roots. We are one of the earliest blockchain companies and a leader in the space. You’ll join a network of entrepreneurs and technologists that reaches the edge of our ecosystem.
- Deep technical challenges. Blockchain technology is just over 10 years old. Ethereum itself is still a toddler. There is much to be done before these platforms can scale to the order of millions or billions of users. We are building the tools, infrastructure and applications l that are pushing the technology forward.
- Continuous learning and improvements. You’ll be constantly exposed to new concepts, ideas and frameworks from your peers and as you work on different projects — challenging you to stay at the top of your game.
ConsenSys is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. We are committed to ensuring that our technology is made available and accessible to everyone. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
ConsenSys is aware of fraudulent recruitment practices and we encourage all applicants to review our best practices to protect yourself which can be found here.
We have a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to make sure we’re looking after you and what matters most.
We believe in ownership and want everyone to have a stake in our future success, that’s why you’ll receive equity when you join us.
Recognized in the blockchain and Web3 ecosystem
Working at ConsenSys is a tremendous reference for your career. You’ll join a network of entrepreneurs and technologists that extends across the global crypto ecosystem.
Continuous learning & opportunities
We provide ongoing growth and development through on-the-job learning, and the ConsenSys Advance Program which includes full access to Coursera, bespoke and technical learning programs and ConsenSys Academy our world-class blockchain and Ethereum program.
We value downtime to recharge and reset, ensuring everyone at ConsenSys has work/life balance. In addition, company-wide we participate in “zero productivity” days to take a break from work, shut down, and sit back and relax.
Flexible working arrangements
With our global workforce we have fine-tuned asynchronous working which means we have a lot of flexibility in the structure of when we work and how we work together.
You’ll be joining a team based all over the world. Providing the unique opportunity to work with people from across 6 continents.