We’re building for a future where the internet and world economy empowers people through interactions based on consent, privacy, and free association. Where both communities and individuals flourish. To accomplish that, we’re working hard to make web3 accessible for everyone around the world.
MetaMask is both a crypto wallet and a gateway to the decentralized web. Our tools help people create communities, play video games, access financial services, make payments, invest in assets, protect against economic turmoil, and more. Our browser extension and mobile platforms meet the needs of millions of users and developers across the world.
Originally a humble key manager, today MetaMask serves over 30 million monthly active users as a decentralized application development platform, an aggregator of decentralized cryptocurrency exchanges, and a decentralized identity manager.
About the Team
The MetaMask browser extension is the world’s most popular ethereum wallet. Our work over the coming years will be defined by five goals. We are striving to build a wallet that is truly:
- Secure, where private keys are safe, phishers are disempowered and users are empowered to make good security decisions
- Accessible, across boundaries such as background, ability, language, location, wealth, or computer literacy
- Extensible, enabling the innovators of the world to permissionlessly add to to the wallets functionality and capabilities
- Social, which leverages peer-to-peer connections of the decentralized web to make the wallet easier, more delightful and more secure to use
- Great to build on for developers of every conceivable dapp
About the Role
We are looking for a technical leader who can help make this vision for a wallet a reality. This will be a hands-on role that will involve technical planning and strategy, architectural decision making, mentorship and teaching, pair programming, research and code review. Successful candidates should have experience leading software engineer projects and teams, and collaborating closely with product managers, designers and other non-engineering stakeholders.
What you’ll do:
- Collaboratively lead the effort to build and ship the product.
- Thoroughly understand the product, codebase and its technical and architectural history. You will use that understanding to help other engineers build proficiency and expertise
- Thoroughly understand the technical context in which we are operating - both the blockchain protocols we are building on and the browser context we are building within - and use that knowledge to support technical and architectural decision making
- Be accountable for optimizing and solidifying performance, security and stability throughout our codebase and its many dependencies, and support your colleagues in doing the same
- Guide and support colleagues who are working to build delightful user experiences and interfaces that will define tomorrow’s wallets.
- Give feedback and advice to others who are making plans and technical decisions
- Pair program with engineers who are working on our hardest technical challenges
- Provide technical mentorship to both junior and senior engineers
- Improve MetaMask through effective review of pull requests, triaging and analysis of GitHub issues, auditing and refactoring the codebase, and testing
- Proactively contribute to team discussions about UX design, technical issues, sprint and roadmap planning, and improving team processes
- Be proficient and thoughtful with asynchronous and synchronous communication, giving and receiving feedback, and working independently and with a team
- Support your teammates’ performance and growth
- Be successful working within a fully remote environment
- Bring respect, patience, and empathy to every interaction and relationship with coworkers and the community
- Bring hustle, enthusiasm, heart and a love of shipping code and fixing bugs to your work
- React and Redux
- Architecting and implementing APIs (for servers or services) in a Node.js context
- Some or all of: Node.js streams, Service Workers, generators, Observables, WebSockets
- Browsers and browser APIs
- Front-end build tools: Grunt, Gulp, webpack, or similar
- Testing: unit, integration, end-to-end
- Refactoring large, complex codebases
- CSS and modern libraries/extensions like Sass, SCSS, Less
- Security engineering
- Ethereum dapp development
- Involvement in EIP authoring or review processes
- Design systems
- Building browser extensions
Our mission is to unlock the collaborative power of communities by making Web3 universally easy to use, access, and build on.
Working with ConsenSys puts you at the forefront of an evolving paradigm, transforming our society for the better. We fundamentally believe blockchain is the next generation of technology that can lay the foundation for a more just and equitable society.
Blockchain tech is just over 10 years old. Ethereum itself is still a toddler and we’re far from reaching our full potential. You’ll get to work on the tools, infrastructure, and apps that scale these platforms to billions of users.
You’ll be constantly exposed to new concepts, ideas, and frameworks from your peers, and as you work on different projects — challenging you to stay at the top of your game. You’ll join a network of entrepreneurs and technologists that reaches the edge of our ecosystem. ConsenSys alumni have moved on to become tech entrepreneurs, CEOs, and team leads at tech companies.
Why join ConsenSys? Here are some of the perks of being part of a unique organization like ConsenSys:
One of the most recognized tech companies in the blockchain ecosystem globally. A work experience at ConsenSys is a tremendous reference for your future career. ConsenSys alumni have moved on to become tech entrepreneurs, CEOs, and team leads at tech companies.
The forefront of a revolution. We fundamentally believe blockchain is a next generation of technology that can lay the foundation for a more just and equitable society. You can be a part of building the digital economy of tomorrow and radically transforming our society for the better.
A dynamic startup environment with deep roots. We are one of the earliest blockchain companies and a leader in the space. You’ll join a network of entrepreneurs and technologists that reaches the edge of our ecosystem.
Deep technical challenges. Blockchain technology is just over 10 years old. Ethereum itself is still a toddler. There is much to be done before these platforms can scale to the order of millions or billions of users. We are building the tools, infrastructure and applications l that are pushing the technology forward.
Continuous learning and improvements. You’ll be constantly exposed to new concepts, ideas and frameworks from your peers and as you work on different projects — challenging you to stay at the top of your game.
The salary range for US-based candidates only will be determined throughout the interview process depending on experience and skills. Candidates should anticipate a base salary (not including bonus, equity or other benefits) of $10,000 to $305,000
ConsenSys is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. We are committed to ensuring that our technology is made available and accessible to everyone. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
ConsenSys is aware of fraudulent recruitment practices and we encourage all applicants to review our best practices to protect yourself which can be found here.
We have a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to make sure we’re looking after you and what matters most.
We believe in ownership and want everyone to have a stake in our future success, that’s why you’ll receive equity when you join us.
Recognized in the blockchain and Web3 ecosystem
Working at ConsenSys is a tremendous reference for your career. You’ll join a network of entrepreneurs and technologists that extends across the global crypto ecosystem.
Continuous learning & opportunities
We provide ongoing growth and development through on-the-job learning, and the ConsenSys Advance Program which includes full access to Coursera, bespoke and technical learning programs and ConsenSys Academy our world-class blockchain and Ethereum program.
We value downtime to recharge and reset, ensuring everyone at ConsenSys has work/life balance. In addition, company-wide we participate in “zero productivity” days to take a break from work, shut down, and sit back and relax.
Flexible working arrangements
With our global workforce we have fine-tuned asynchronous working which means we have a lot of flexibility in the structure of when we work and how we work together.
You’ll be joining a team based all over the world. Providing the unique opportunity to work with people from across 6 continents.