ConsenSys is the leading Ethereum software company. We enable developers, enterprises, and people worldwide to build next-generation applications, launch modern financial infrastructure, and access the decentralized web. Our product suite, composed of Infura, Quorum, Codefi, MetaMask, and Diligence, serves millions of users, supports billions of blockchain-based queries for our clients, and has handled billions of dollars in digital assets. Ethereum is the largest programmable blockchain in the world, leading in business adoption, developer community, and DeFi activity. On this trusted, open source foundation, we are building the digital economy of tomorrow. To explore our products and solutions, visit http://consensys.net/.
We make open source tools for building blockchain applications. Our tools let users simulate blockchain virtual machines, debug smart contracts step-by-step, manage suites of automated tests, deploy applications to live networks, interface with smart contracts at a high level of abstraction, and much more. We believe that software development tools should offer sensible defaults and never lose sight of human intent amidst low-level details.
About this role
You’ll primarily work on the Truffle command-line application for smart contract development. Currently in its fifth major version, Truffle’s first version was released in 2015 and has been in development and maintenance since, supporting tens of thousands of developers who use it for the many workflows it offers.
- Integrate multiple languages and compilers, detect which files have changed since previous compilations, and handle sources from external dependencies.
- Connect to and interface with multiple blockchain networks in the same project, possibly with differing architectures.
- Maintain a persistent record of users’ project artifacts to allow robust debugging and historical analysis.
Truffle has ambitious goals – we build software components for the full lifecycle of smart contract development, leveraging our experiences building from first principles and coordinating with projects such as Infura, MetaMask, Web3.js, Solidity, and countless others. We’d love for you to join us and help further our ongoing efforts towards an incredible developer experience in this emerging field.
This role requires a knack for software design, adherence to software engineering best practices, and a love of hacking.
- 5+ years of software engineering experience
- Software design knowledge
- Good at hacking
- Good at cleaning up hacking
- History of working with strongly-typed languages
- Expertise with command-line interfaces
- Excellent written and verbal technical communication skills
(Missing some or all of these? Don’t worry; you’ll pick them up!)
- Deep knowledge of Solidity and the Ethereum Virtual Machine
- Professional TypeScript experience
- Core contribution work on a medium-to-large open source project
- Foundation in programming languages
What's it like to work at Truffle?
We believe in cultivating autonomy, mastery, and purpose, both for ourselves and for our community. We recognize that developing great software requires passion for the positive impact of the work and passion to support each other as a team. We recognize each other by our strengths, not our weaknesses, and we maintain space for everyone to say “I don’t know.” We work remotely except for when we meet up with each other (pandemic aside) at conferences or as a group at team retreats. We’re a dedicated team with a playful sense of humor, constantly seeking new ideas.
Not sure you’re a perfect fit for this role? Reach out anyway—we’d love to meet you!
Here are some of the perks of being part of the Truffle team at a unique organization like ConsenSys:
- One of the most recognized tech companies in the blockchain ecosystem globally. A work experience at ConsenSys is a tremendous reference for your future career. ConsenSys alumni have moved on to become tech entrepreneurs, CEOs, and team leads at tech companies.
- The forefront of a revolution. We fundamentally believe blockchain is a next generation of technology that can lay the foundation for a more just and equitable society. You can be a part of building the digital economy of tomorrow and radically transforming our society for the better.
- A dynamic startup environment with deep roots. We are one of the earliest blockchain companies and a leader in the space. You’ll join a network of entrepreneurs and technologists that reaches the edge of our ecosystem.
- Deep technical challenges. Blockchain technology is just over 10 years old. Ethereum itself is still a toddler. There is much to be done before these platforms can scale to the order of millions or billions of users. We are building the tools, infrastructure and applications l that are pushing the technology forward.
- Continuous learning and improvements. You’ll be constantly exposed to new concepts, ideas and frameworks from your peers and as you work on different projects — challenging you to stay at the top of your game.
ConsenSys is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. We are committed to ensuring that our technology is made available and accessible to everyone. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We have a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to make sure we’re looking after you and what matters most.
We believe in ownership and want everyone to have a stake in our future success, that’s why you’ll receive equity when you join us.
Recognized in the blockchain and Web3 ecosystem
Working at ConsenSys is a tremendous reference for your career. You’ll join a network of entrepreneurs and technologists that extends across the global crypto ecosystem.
Continuous learning & opportunities
We provide ongoing growth and development through on-the-job learning, and the ConsenSys Advance Program which includes full access to Coursera, bespoke and technical learning programs and ConsenSys Academy our world-class blockchain and Ethereum program.
We value downtime to recharge and reset, ensuring everyone at ConsenSys has work/life balance. In addition, company-wide we participate in “zero productivity” days to take a break from work, shut down, and sit back and relax.
Flexible working arrangements
With our global workforce we have fine-tuned asynchronous working which means we have a lot of flexibility in the structure of when we work and how we work together.
You’ll be joining a team based all over the world. Providing the unique opportunity to work with people from across 6 continents.