November 6, 2019
October’s monthly report is filled with exciting updates, recaps, and releases from ConsenSys. If this is the first monthly report you’re reading, check out our vision, and learn more about ConsenSys. If you’re a frequent reader, jump right into the good stuff — the top tweets, events, videos, and reads from the past month.
“Whereas most technologies tend to automate workers on the periphery doing menial tasks, blockchains automate away the center. Instead of putting the taxi driver out of a job, blockchain puts Uber out of a job and lets the taxi drivers work with the customer.’’
— Vitalik Buterin, co-founder and inventor of Ethereum
In October, 4,000+ developers, designers, researchers, and scholarship recipients came together in Osaka, Japan for Devcon5. ConsenSys put a call out for One Million Ethereum Developers. Gitcoin released Gitcoin Quests —a colorful gamified way to learn about the web3 ecosystem, earn rewards, and beef up your decentralization knowledge. 7 Ethereum projects scored $175,000 in ConsenSys Grants, and the applications are now open for the third wave.
The ConsenSys Vision
Most Popular Articles
- What are people searching for? “The State of Privacy on Ethereum”
- Trending: “Joe Lubin’s Full Speech from Devcon 5: How We Get to a Decentralized World Wide Web”
- Most Shared: “How to Learn About Blockchain If You Didn’t Study Computer Science”
Social Media Hits
Hub and Spoke Model
The ConsenSys “hub” spawns, incubates, and accelerates “spoke” ventures through development, resource sharing, acquisitions, investments, and the formation of joint ventures. These spokes benefit from foundational components built by ConsenSys that enable new services and business models to be built on the Ethereum blockchain.
- Labs: Our blockchain venture studio. Labs incubates the best teams of Web3 across the globe, providing them capital, mentorship, and access to ConsenSys’ network of top-tier projects and talent. Sign up: Register to be notified about the next remote-first hackathon—”Relay”
- Academy: Our educational institution. Academy’s mission is to develop the global blockchain ecosystem by bridging the Ethereum knowledge gap.
- Solutions: Our enterprise arm. Solutions brings blockchain to businesses, helping enterprises, governments, non-profits, and startups across the globe build, test, and deploy public and private blockchain solutions. Solutions offers education, advisory, and development services, as well as opportunities for joint ventures and co-creation.
- Social Impact: ConsenSys Social Impact leverages emerging technologies to solve the world’s most pressing issues. Read: Introduction to Stablecoins, Payment Ramps, & Transparent Donations Pt. 2
- Capital: Capital is our constellation of financial service offerings for digital assets and blockchain-based companies, and also includes token sale advisory and a venture capital studio.
- Diligence: ConsenSys Diligence is committed to improving and protecting the Ethereum ecosystem by facilitating technical excellence, security guidelines, legal precautions, and ethical business practices. Read: Solidity Visual Auditor Extension for VS Code.
- Ethereal: Ethereal Summit brings together builders, philosophers, policymakers, artists, and humanitarians from around the world for two days of storytelling and knowledge sharing around how we can build our decentralized future together using blockchain technology. Watch: Investor Hypotheses for Blockchain in 2020 – #EtherealTLV Panel.
Alliances and Initiatives
- Accounting Blockchain Coalition: Started by ConsenSys’ Balanc3 team, ABC drives innovation in the accounting industry while educating businesses and organizations on accounting for blockchain-based digital assets. Read: “ABC Expands Membership Levels To Offer Options For Practitioners And Startups.”
- The Brooklyn Project: An industry-wide collaboration utilizing blockchain law, regulation, and policy to promote token-powered economic growth and consumer protection.
- Enterprise Ethereum Alliance (EEA): The industry’s first global standards organization provides guidelines for developing and delivering large-scale, interoperable blockchain implementations. Read: “Enterprise Ethereum Alliance unveils token reward system for firms.”
Spokes and Ventures
Liquidity management and international payments for decentralized financial networks.
Read: Best Practices for Running a Permissioned Blockchain Network in a Regulated Production Environment
A platform that makes it easy to find, price, and trade tokens peer-to-peer on the Ethereum blockchain. Read: “AirSwap @ Devcon 5.“
A comprehensive suite of blockchain exploration, analysis, and forecasting products for the Ethereum network.
All infrastructure, for all — platform for the tokenization of large scale unlisted infrastructure.
Freelance task fulfillment, paying out in any Ethereum token upon successful completion.
Read: “Come Together: The Evolution of Communities.”
A platform for sustainable and trustworthy journalism using open governance and cryptoeconomics.
Read: “Civil ID Hubs, DIDs & Verifiable Credentials.”
A daily news site covering all things crypto and the advent of the decentralized web.
Read: “Tokenize all the Things”
A decentralized peer assessment protocol forming the foundation of a universal academic system.
Read: “hyperlink.academy, an internet native school.”
The easiest way to leverage the open-source community to incentivize or monetize work.
Read: “Gitcoin Quests is now LIVE”
Gnosis builds new market mechanisms to enable the distribution of resources — from assets to incentives, and information to ideas.
Read: “Gnosis & FCLA: Introducing Geospatial Prediction Markets.”
Leverages the public Ethereum blockchain to give consumers direct access to wholesale energy markets.
Read: “GridPlus Mini Update: October 25, 2019.”
A scalable, standards-based, globally distributed cluster and API endpoint for Ethereum, IPFS, and other infrastructures.
An all-in-one enterprise SaaS platform that radically simplifies the creation and operation of secure blockchain networks and accelerates the journey from PoC to Production.
Read: “Introducing Hyperledger Avalon”
The Ethereum community’s technical knowledge network.
Read: “The Importance of Women in the Cryptocurrency Industry”
MetaMask is a browser extension that allows you to run Ethereum dApps right in your browser without running a full Ethereum node.
Read: “MetaMask Monthly: October 2019”
A security analysis API for Ethereum smart contracts. It powers tools that bring security into the smart contract SDLC.
Read: “Kaleido Is First Blockchain Platform to Offer Native Smart Contract Management”
A blockchain-based protocol for the creation and execution of legal agreements in a user-friendly, compliant way.
Watch: “OpenLaw Interest Rate Swap Demo 1″
A decentralized foundation that provides sustainable funding through grants.
Read: “The Astrotrope Era”
A protocol engineering team building Ethereum tech for the public chain community and leading enterprises.
Read: “Increasing Security with Blockchain Database Encryption.
Same project, new name. Treum helps businesses build trust with their customers by bringing transparency, traceability, and tradability to supply chains.
Read: “Blockchain-based temperature traceability powered by EVIGENCE Sensors™ and Treum.”
A development environment, testing framework, and asset pipeline for Ethereum-based smart contracts and dapps.
Building multi-sided marketplaces to collect, validate, publish, and commercialize business-critical reference data.
Read: Decrypt has teamed up with the good folk at @TruSetData to help deliver accurate company information on some of the biggest startups in the crypto-sphere.
A custody platform to safeguard crypto assets, with customizable smart accounts for diverse client needs.
Read: “Ex-Bankers Offer First Hot Wallet for Institutional-Grade Crypto Finance.”
A digital rights management platform enabling fairness, transparency, and profitability in music and creative works.
Read: “How Ujo helps fans own a slice of their favorite musicians.”
A self-sovereign identity management platform that allows users to register their own identity on Ethereum, send and request credentials, sign transactions, and securely manage keys and data.
Profiles and distributed database infrastructure for Ethereum.